Re: Fedora 7 Upgrade

On Saturday 09 June 2007 02:48:05 jose manimala wrote:
> Would'nt it be a good idea to make respins of the fedora core 7 for
> internal use. Like For app servers we can have a permanent set of
> features and for test servers we can have another. there will be too
> many respins but it will make it easier later on in the future when we
> can just upgrade a respin to newer versions. That way we can avoid
> RHEL as such and run Fedora on all systems. I dont know but i seem to
> prefer Fedora over RHEL. There might still be some packages that are
> proprietary.... that will be the only problem faced is it not.....
> just a suggestion

Respins aren't really that useful in this context.  We can easily choose what
we want to install, and we can easily apply the updates either during or
after install.  A respin won't help us in these manners.  What we don't like
about Fedora is there is not really any attempt to keep a non abi changing
platform, the updates are fast and loose, and the distribution releases get
flushed quickly.

Fedora is great for short term or developmental servers, whereas RHEL/CentOS
is far more suited for long term production environments.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora