Re: Upgrade metrics

Christopher Blizzard wrote:
On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 08:54 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
The problem with the smolt numbers is that anyone doing kickstarts, installing via runlevel 3, yum upgrades or anaconda upgrades will never get prompted to enable smolt and there are privacy concerns just enabling it by default. So I think the only way we can do it is start to seed people now, get the word out about smolt, and start monitoring upgrades from F7 to F8 and so on.

What happens in the case that the network stuff isn't up when smolt runs
during startup?  Did it end up being able to wait for the network and
queue it for later?  I'm a little surprised that the number of units
that we have is as small as it is, and how few of them are laptops.  Or
maybe it's just that our support for laptops is so bad that no one is
bothering anymore. :)
It keeps trying as best as it can until network comes up. If all that fails (say a reboot is required before network comes up) the monthly smolt checkin will start up and we'll get them a month after they install. The monthly checkin will also let us do queries on 'active' users say people that have submitted in the last 6 months or 12 months.

Would be nice to move smolt out of just the firstboot and do some user
surveys as well, but I guess we haven't speced that out and haven't had
time to do the work to make that happen.

Well we do have smoltGui available and we're working on adding a rating system for the entire profile as well as individual devices. The question is how to get people to run it.