Disk space requirements

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Sat Mar 24 15:14:03 UTC 2007

Once upon a time Friday 23 March 2007, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
> > so we're already expecting mirrors to carry ~25GB per arch per release
> > or thereabouts.
> >
> > If we continue with 3 arches, 2 releases per year, that's at least 150GB
> > per year growth.  If we add arches, Unity respins, more CD/DVD objects,
> > and the like, it'll grow faster.
>
> That's why my eyes popped out of my eye sockets at fudcon. It's irrational
> and impractical to keep permuting the distribution. Also, when can previous
> releases be removed? That would be nice to know.

id like to have an archive of no longer supported releases.    my calculations
were ~250gb per release with the secondary archs. We are looking at having
i386 x86_64 ppc ppc64 sparc sparc64 ia64 and alpha

the biggest issue we face right now is where do we store everything?
Seriously if anyone has contacts inside some big storage providers that could
help us get storage donated it would be really appreciated.

Dennsi