Re: Image standards

On 5/22/07, Toshio Kuratomi <a badger gmail com> wrote:
On Tue, 2007-05-22 at 13:45 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Anyone have a problem with us using SVG for image sources and PNG for
> final copies on our websites?  We can grandfather this in but mizmo
> suggested it on the websites-list.  I think its a good idea.

It depends on what is meant by "image".  png and jpeg have vastly
different compression characteristics.  Using jpeg where appropriate can
save someone on dialup a tremendous amount of time.  However, many of
the images we create as SVG are going to be the kind that store well as
png...

Since it looks like both jpeg and png are free formats, I'd like to
avoid a "only pngs allowed here" policy.  Both png and jpg have their
place.

-Toshio

We're not saying we will force someone to use png format only.
However we'll *encourage* to use patent-free png format in Fedora Project.
Regards,
--
Thomas Chung