Image standards

Thomas Chung tchung at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 22 22:42:20 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically, I have yet to see any indication that there are current,
> valid patents on jpeg so I don't understand why you think it does not
> qualify as a "patent-free format".

It seems we're arguing for something we don't know for sure.
We all agree png is "patent-free format" but we do not know for sure
if there is still *potential* patent issue remaining with jpg. That's
what we're trying to avoid.  Once again, I'm not lawyer so if you
believe jpg is "patent-free format" for sure, please be my guest. :)
Regards,
--
Thomas Chung