iptables templates

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri May 25 14:04:51 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote:
> Here's what I've used in the past.
>
> It allows connections for certain ports/places and then drops everything
> else as the last item.
>
> http://linux.duke.edu/~skvidal/misc/iptables-template
>
> it's pretty painless, really.
>
> If we want to add explicit outbound rules, too, that's fine, but I'd
> advise enabling logging b/c that stuff is easy to get wrong. :)
>
> This is just a sample but it's simple and straightforward.

Excellent.  I much prefer simple firewall rules where possible (its not
always possible :)

One RFE:

Could we have a commented section in there to rate limit some of the
open ports (http immediately come to mind)?  That way if we get slammed
again we don't have to go figure out what we've done in the past we can
just uncomment it.

What do you think?

    -Mike