Re: Distributing static content

On Fri, 25 May 2007, Mike McGrath wrote:
4. rsync via ssh keys or rsync server (I'm currently leaning towards this)

We've got a whole pool of sysadmins on this list. How do you deal with these issues in your current environments?

Across a pool of web servers in a cluster, we use rsync over SSH to keep content "in sync". When changes are made on the "master", it takes a few moments for the other nodes to get the changes, but that hasn't caused any issues. rsync is initiated on the "non-master" nodes and the only time we have a problem is if the "master" isn't available (down for reboot, etc.) -- even that doesn't cause any real problems, just results in an e-mail since the script called from crontab generates output in the event of errors; otherwise, it's silent.

We're very happy with this method, it has proven to be reliable and scalable in our environment.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis