Apache tweak mod_expires

Damian Myerscough damian.myerscough at gmail.com
Tue May 29 13:41:12 UTC 2007

Sounds good Matt,

I had a little idea for mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist why not
add mod_geoip and
have the mirrors list broken down so that users connecting from
Germany get mirrors
located in Germany and not mirrors in England (also give them the
opportunity to download
from a mirror outside their country). That's just a little thought, it
should help with the load
slightly.

On 29/05/07, Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch at dell.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 01:34:11PM +0100, Damian Myerscough wrote:
> > I thought I would email everyone before touching the Apache server,
> > plus check it was
> > OK to go ahead and make the changes.
> >
> > I would like to try an optimize Apache before Thursday (Fedora 7 is
> > release) to handle
> > the traffic a bit better. I will be performing some benchmarking on
> > the Apache server using
> > Apache benchmark.
> >  I would also like to deploy mod_evasive which should help with the
> > load on Apache. I will be attending the meeting this week, however I
> > would like any responses via email if possible as the meeting is
> > Thursday, and Fedora 7 is release then.
>

> I made the (safe) change to app[34] httpd serving up
> mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist to add mod_expires and a default
> Expires time of modification time plus 1 hour.  These pages are static
> but refreshed at the top of every hour, and the flow is:
>
> end user -> (end user proxy?) -> proxy[12].fp.o -> app[34]
>
> for every request.  By adding the Expires: header, and testing from
> behind a corporate proxy, the first page load takes 0.5s for a cache
> miss, but subsequent page loads take 0.05s for a non-expired cache
> hit, and we never take even a HTTP HEAD on the cache hits.  This lets
> these pages play nicely with those who have their own proxy server.
>
> Would it make sense to add Expires headers to the static fp.o home
> content being served directly from proxy[12] ?  We're not going to
> change them often (we hope), so a 1-4 hour expiry time, just in case
> we do have to change them, might be beneficial.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Matt
>
> --