hosting git conversion of Fedora CVS tree on fedora infrastructure?

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Tue Nov 20 14:54:53 UTC 2007

Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh at wantstofly.org> wrote:
> For a while now, I've been maintaining a git conversion of the
> Fedora CVS tree, pulling in a copy of the CVS tree via rsync, and
> running some local scripts to convert that to git, incrementally
> updating the git tree as commits are made to the CVS tree.
>
> (For more background info, see here:)
>
> 	https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-November/msg00561.html

Nice!

Maintaining an accurate cvs->git mirror is not trivial (I know, from
experience with the full repositories of coreutils, emacs, libc, and a
few more).  If you can do it well and keep it accurate, then it'd make
a fine and very welcome service.

I've found that the initial conversion works best with cvsparse.
It's _much_ more efficient than git-cvsimport, and more reliable, too.