Log analyzer improvements, ticket #226

Michael Yingbull michael.yingbull at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 18:54:16 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I'm following up from ticket #226, which is tracking improvements to the log
analyzer system.
This would be what analyzers the logs on lockbox, which is the syslog host
for infrastructure machines:
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/226

I wanted to capture what we wanted the new analyzer to do.
Main feedback I had from discussion in #fedora-admin was a need for more
signal, less noise:
the current 'analyzed' logs were too verbose and had too much cruft.

Did I capture that requirement?
Are there other requirements besides improving the presentation?
Anything else that people feel they need from the log analyzer that they
aren't getting?

Currently Epylog is used - I did some looking around, and I'm not seeing
something that looks like its any better.
If someone knows another open source log analyzer they think would be much
better, I'd like to hear.
Else, my plan is to continue with Epylog, reconfigure it... and if really
needed to get what we need, patch it and contribute upstream.

Thanks all, hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Cheers,
Michael