Re: Log analyzer improvements, ticket #226

seth vidal wrote:
On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 08:33 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
Michael Yingbull wrote:
Hi all,

I'm following up from ticket #226, which is tracking improvements to the log
analyzer system.
This would be what analyzers the logs on lockbox, which is the syslog host
for infrastructure machines:
https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/226

I wanted to capture what we wanted the new analyzer to do.
Main feedback I had from discussion in #fedora-admin was a need for more
signal, less noise:
the current 'analyzed' logs were too verbose and had too much cruft.

Did I capture that requirement?
I think this is the biggest thing. Obviously we don't want to /dev/null log lines but at the same time the current format is pretty useless to us. I guess it might be best to do as much cleanup as possible and then see where things are.

Actually, there's a huge portion of what is in the current logs that
needs to either:
1. be dumped out by  epylog's weeder
2. be stopped from occurring on the system generating the message.

Michael, if you need any assistance with this, let me know, I have a
fair bit of experience adding weedlists to epylog.

2) would be more favored by me where possible.