xen7 networking issue?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 01:00:53 UTC 2008

Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
>> Someone just reported that the wiki was down and I thought xen7 might have
>> crashed again.  when I tried to ssh to it my connection timed out.  ping xen7
>> was fine.  I serial consoled in and then immediately tried to ssh to xen7
>> again.  it worked.  uptime showed that xen7 has been up since this morning and
>> the app servers are all running, etc.  There are no iscsi errors in
>> /var/log/messages.
>>
>> Is there a possibility that we're experiencing some sort of networking issue
>> with xen7?  Maybe that issue is exacerbating the iscsi bug that causes our xen
>> hosts to crash?
>>

> you can ssh to (for example) fas1 then ssh to xen7.

To clarify why this is, it's because fas1 is a xen guest on xen7.

>  I discovered that just
> before I left on Friday.  This leads me to believe that something else on
> our network is using that IP.  We'll have to look at the arp tables and
> see whats going on.

heads up for the list: Mike found a mac address that's doing this:
00:1A:64:2C:81:02.

> The good news is this shouldn't affect the xen guests though, in theory,
> it is affecting the iscsi connection on xen7.  xen1 and xen2 are the only
> hosts we've seen actually rebooting though xen7 is new.

Clarification, xen7 has rebooted itself three times since you left :-/

And I've just had to reboot it because of this:

Apr  1 00:32:53 xen7 kernel: scsi 2:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device
Apr  1 00:35:31 xen7 last message repeated 11 times

-Toshio