snapmirror status tool?

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun Apr 13 21:11:39 UTC 2008

One of the challenges to set up push-mirroring (where a tool somehow
informs mirrors that there's new content ready to be pulled) is that
we're using NetApps with snapmirroring to sync data across PHX, TPA,
and RDU.  While we know when rel-eng uploads data to the netapp in
PHX, we don't know when all that data is quite synced to the netapps
in TPA and RDU.

Or do we?

http://ecserv1.uwaterloo.ca/netapp/man/man1/na_snapmirror.1.html

notes that there is a command, snapmirror status, which can be used on
the filers to determine mirroring status/progress/complete-or-not, to
each destination.  I can't run this command on the filers, but with
the help of SOC, we should be able to have an automated tool that runs
this command on our behalf regularly and posts the results somewhere
that we can read the status...

If we know the status, then we can implement push-mirroring to the
various mirror tiers.  Tell tier 0 mirrors when the content is done
snapmirroring and ready for them to pull.  Then tell the tier 1
mirrors when the Tier 0 mirrors are done.  etc.

Mike, can you file a request with SOC requesting such a tool?

Thanks,
Matt

--
Matt Domsch