change request (/mnt/koji fs issues)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 15:51:23 UTC 2008

2008/4/21 Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 09:04 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>  > So we're in a bit of trouble.  Right now the ext3 filesystem on /mnt/koji
>  > is in a sort of funky state.  There's a section of the filesystem that is
>  > pretty borked.  Running fsck.ext3 on it causes a segfault.  The core dump
>  > is 2G right now.  This is likely from the short few hours we ran /mnt/koji
>  > from a RHEL4 box (lesson learned there...)
>  >
>  > Steps to proceed:
>  >
>  > 1) Snapshots - I've been doing all of my tests from snapshots and will
>  > continue to do so.  The share itself doesn't seem to be catastrophically
>  > broken, just that one section.
>  >
>  > 2) Contact some fs experts with the dump and see what is going on.
>  >
>  > 3) Fix the filesystem.
>  >
>  > 4) Also, for the last 4 nights at around 3 am my time the filesystem has
>  > hit this part of the disk causing it to get remounted ro.  I'd like to
>  > setup a script to auto correct this issue until we can come up with a
>  > permanent fix.  Just saves me from having to get up in the middle of the
>  > night.
>  >
>  > Is anyone against this?  I'm mostly worried about step3 then anything.
>  > Before we do that I want to make sure we have a proper backup and do
>  > plenty of tests from snapshots.  It might be best to do 3) after the
>  > release.
>  >

>  This gets a +1 from me.  Must keep that thing stable, and you sane.

Ah but Mike has viewed the depths of filesystem creation and seen the
dark Lords who live there dancing forever around the sleeping Nameless
One.  Its too late.. the best we can do is wall him up in a room next
to Seth and Stephen Tweedie and let them chant their prayers to their
new Mad Overlords: "Ph'sck mount'slafh Extphree" though Seth's is more
"O'yum rp'm" but they do go together as harmony.