Server Monitoring - A replacement for Nagios?

John Anderson john.e.anderson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 11:59:04 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-31 at 22:48 -0600, Michael Yingbull wrote:
> We're running it on a regular RHEL machine as well at $dayjob.  We've
> not seen those problems.

Also using Zenoss on Centos 5.2 for monitoring here at $dayjob. I've
been keeping it on the current version using their "native" RPM for a
year, no issues.

Zope is a little bit of a PITA, we just run apache in front of it.

I looked at quite a few free monitoring solutions about a year ago, and
Zenoss really seemed the most feature full, and definitely best UI. They
seem to be developing faster than any of the others as well.

The docs are a little rough, but if you have a basic understanding of
SNMP it doesn't take that much to figure out.

Anyhow, it might be worth your time to try several before committing.

> There was an interesting talk at OLS comparing Nagios, Zabbix, Zenoss,
> and Hyperic[1] - the upshot was that none of them is a clear
> frontrunner
> (how's that for being helpful ?)

Zabbix certainly didn't seem very popular at the end vote there.