Maintaining a partial cvs workarea

Hi,

I'm keeping only a partial checkout of the packages, e.g. the ones I'm
maintaining. Now I'd like to be able to cvs up and have all updates
flow in, but if I do so cvs will want to get all other thousand
packages in.

Until now I'm using a poor man's solution with a for loop and
pushd/popd, but it's extremely slow due to login in for each package.

Is there a more clever way to get cvs up running w/o pulling in all of
the cvsroot? I could probably manually edit CVS/Entries, but this feels
a bit dirty. What are other packagers doing?
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net