torrent tracker/primary seed software

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Fri Feb 8 05:28:08 UTC 2008

So,
 we're setting up the new torrent tracker and we're debating which
tracker software to use.

bittorrent: 5.2.0 - released in nov 2007 - it's the last open source
            version b/c apparently the authors got greedy and stupid.
            It's not painfully out of date, though and it would be
            relatively to setup and shift over to it.

ctorrent: theoretically being maintained and theoretically capable of
          being a tracker. It doesn't seem to have any nice
          initscripts. And the configuration for additional trackers
          looks more convulted than might otherwise be desired. Welcome
          to suggestions on initscripts, etc

rtorrent: not obvious this is a tracker at all. It looks more like an
          ncurses-based client. Subpar for our usage.

In case anyone is unclear what our usage is. We use the torrent
tracker/seed as a simple server. We drop files in a directory and they
are available on the tracker. It logs what went where and lets us get
data out of it about how many things have been downloaded and from
where.

Open to suggestions about better tracker software to use. Requirements:
1. must be free software
2. must log/record stats
3. must act sensibly

Thanks!