Collaboration Servers!

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Thu Jan 31 01:39:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 03:15:22PM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> collab1.fedoraproject.org is up and running.  Yahoo!  So whats missing?
> Well, it doesn't actually do anything yet.  Plans for it include
>
> 1) gobby (its AMAZING)
> 2) pastebin or something like it (also amazing)
> 3) mailman.
>
> So who wants to set up what?  Luke, you'd mentioned you might be able to
> get gobby up sometime this week / next.  Is that still the case?  If so
> I'll open a ticket and assign it to you.

Yeah, I'm down.

A few initial concerns I have with deploying a production Gobby instance:

 - Lack of ACLs.  It will be a bit of a free-for-all, but that could possibly
   be a very good thing.  There is really no sort of document heirarchy, and
   you can either set a single server-wide password, or none at all.

 - We can setup sobby to save its state after a given interval, but
   people need to be aware that their data is not safe, and they should
   save locally -- often.  Undo does not exist.

I think a single sobby instance will probably be fine for now.  In the long run,
it may be interesting to setup some sort of system that allows users to
create new collaboration sessions with others instantly.  It may be
an idea worth hashing out at some point.

> My only request for pastebin is that we use something that has an
> upstream, and that we don't modify it other then to create a template for
> that good ol' fedora look and feel.

Stickum[0] has been pretty nice so far in my experience.  My only beef with
http://f3dora.org so far has been the fact that sometimes it's quite
slow.  If we want to take this route, the first step would be to get
stickum into Fedora.  Does anyone have any details as to how f3dora.org
is currently deployed ?

There is already an open Fedora Pastebin ticket:

luke

[0]: http://code.google.com/p/stickum/