puppet and git

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Jul 7 03:48:56 UTC 2008

Sooooo.  We've been doing puppet wrong.  Not really wrong but there's a
better way now using modules.

more info: http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/PuppetModules

Long story short, I (and probably kanarip if I can sucker  him into it :)
will start converting some stuff that we've got to the more module format.
Some benefits:

 * Easier to share with others
 * Much better organization / easier to find stuff
 * The standard actually involves writing a README file per module.  Thats
   a good thing and can help explain some things better.

Before we go making a bunch of changes I'm going to make sure to keep
everyone in the loop with whats going on.  One thing I did want to discuss
is that puppet does have some native support for git now and people are
using it.  I have to say I'm on the fence about it.  Fedora as an
organization is moving more to git, the websites team already uses it.

What are the thoughts on this list?

	-Mike