[Fwd: Cron <postgres at db2> /var/lib/pgsql/vacstat.py check]

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 19:27:07 UTC 2008

Mike Bonnet wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 11:33 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>> Since the plan is to move koji to db3 within the week I'd like to hold
>> off on this.  The dump and reload to move to the new server should be
>> more effective than a manual vacuum.
>
> Note that you still need to analyze all the tables after a dump/reload
> to regenerate database statistics.  Otherwise postgres may choose some
> less-than-optimal query plans.

Good point.

Also note, we're currently debating whether to move to postgres-8.3 for
koji now or later.  8.3 has a whole slew of enhancements that could make
our lives better[1]_.  On the debit side we haven't tested koji with 8.3
here.  However, dgilmore has been running sparc.koji.fp.o (FC6) with
pg-8.3 which is pretty similar to our environment.

.. _[1]: Combing the NEWS for changes from 8.1=>8.3 I came up with the
list here: https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/547

-Toshio