Re: Server Monitoring - A replacement for Nagios?

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 4:22 PM, Ray Van Dolson <rayvd bludgeon org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 02:51:38PM +1000, Rob K wrote:
>> Where could OpenNMS fit into this? They've been pretty friendly to us,
>> and it's a solid bit of gear.

> OpenNMS is rock solid, but it's Tomcat/Java powered... would it run
> well with OpenJDK?  Is Fedora open to using Sun's JDK?  Also, although
> it's gotten a lot better (more configuration done via the UI), the XML
> based config files are seriously annoying. :)

It should work Just fine - it'd be seriously better than any of the
PHP driven horrors I've dealt with, and Java is officially a Good Guy.

XML config files, meh. At least they can be  programattically created
and maintained by puppet etc. I work with XML from beyond Euclidean
space every day and I remain sane-ish. Dealing with huge BIND rigs has
taken the shine off apparently 'readable' non-XML config files.

It's certainly worth a try, and as I say, the OpenNMS guys have shown
willing to throw their hat into the fray.

> Ray

Rob K
I swear, if I collected all seven dragonballs,
I'd bring back Jon Postel. - Raph