Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

Ian Weller ianweller at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 20:23:34 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 10:20:25PM +0530, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> The thing with Opyum is that its functionality has been very nicely
> ported to PackageKit by one of my friends during this year's Google
> Summer of Code. Fedora 8 still caries Opyum, but its useless for
> Fedora 9 and onwards. I just want to wait till Fedora 8 is EOLed after
> which I would not want it to hog resources on fedorahosted.org any
> more.

SourceForge.net (gah! I know) has a policy that not only prevents
projects from being automatically removed simply for the sake of being
idle, but that prevents most projects from being removed at all, even at
the developer's request; this policy is for the contingency of source
code, making it still available to people who still want it, even though
the project may be dead.

If there's no way to retrieve the source code for a project that has
been removed from Fedora Hosted, is the project not gone forever -- and
more importantly, do we want that?

--
Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com>                  http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint:  E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226  B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36