Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 20:35:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Ian Weller wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 10:20:25PM +0530, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> > The thing with Opyum is that its functionality has been very nicely
> > ported to PackageKit by one of my friends during this year's Google
> > Summer of Code. Fedora 8 still caries Opyum, but its useless for
> > Fedora 9 and onwards. I just want to wait till Fedora 8 is EOLed after
> > which I would not want it to hog resources on fedorahosted.org any
> > more.
> >
> SourceForge.net (gah! I know) has a policy that not only prevents
> projects from being automatically removed simply for the sake of being
> idle, but that prevents most projects from being removed at all, even at
> the developer's request; this policy is for the contingency of source
> code, making it still available to people who still want it, even though
> the project may be dead.

This is one of the things we're hoping to prevent with fedorahosted.  The
hope is that the fedorahosted brand will be known for good, active
projects.  Not vaporware.

> If there's no way to retrieve the source code for a project that has
> been removed from Fedora Hosted, is the project not gone forever -- and
> more importantly, do we want that?

Depends.  We'll certainly be contacting the project members and let them
know whats up giving them the option to grab the raw source tree (already
available via rsync) and the trac install.

In general from the infrastructure side I'd say we want to keep the
barrier to enter low but the quality high.  Certainly there's projects
that don't need to be updated every 6 months but we can identify those and
deal accordingly.

	-Mike