Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 02:24:43 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 21:02 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Robin Norwood wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> > > Nope, the terms of use are already pretty clear.  And no one has provided
> > > a compelling reason to keep these projects around, just lots of
> > > suggestions on how to keep them around.  Deleted is what we want, not
> > > delisted or saved forever or anything like that.  We're not going to
> > > commit any resources to a project that choosed not to use this free
> > > service.
> >
> > Well, because sooner or later, you'll delete a project that someone
> > didn't want deleted, and they'll be ticked off.  Maybe they'll open a
> > ticket and convince the infra. team to restore the data from a backup,
> > or maybe they'll just be ticked off and rant about how much Fedora
> > sucks for deleting this thing they didn't want deleted.
> >

> I'm fine with that.  Its well documented.  and its not like we're going to
> rm -rf the thing.  We'll keep it around for a while but no promises.
>
> > Again, I'm assuming the per-project maintenence cost is near zero (ie,
> > a little bit of disk space).  If not, then maybe I could see a case
> > for automatically deleting old projects.
> >

> Ah, thats an incorrect assumption.

Is there a way to balance deactivating the greater project needs with
the value of the source code as a useful historical artifact?  In other
words, if we reduced (for example) an active git-based project to just
the .git stuff, and made it available for download only, then the cost
really is just disk space, right?

I wouldn't want to see Infrastructure roped into committing lots of
resources to carry a ton of dead projects.  If there's a significant
per-project maintenance cost, even if it just adds up to something
significant over hundreds of projects, the work has to be justified
somehow.  Is there a way to keep the source around but not induce the
maintenance cost?  Am I being naive about this?

--
Paul W. Frields