RFR: Hosting for Beacon (DocBook Editor) Testing

satya komaragiri satya.komaragiri at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 16:34:30 UTC 2009

Ticket filed at: https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1580

==Project Sponsor==
Name: Komaragiri Satya
Fedora Account Name: satyak
Group: Google Summer of Code 2008
Infrastructure Sponsor: None yet.

==Secondary Contact info==
Name: Yaakov Nemoy
Fedora Account Name: ynemoy
Group: hgsmolt

==Project Info==
Project Name: Beacon
Target Audience: Documentation team and anyone else who wants a
WYSIWYM interface for DocBook XML.
Expiration/Delivery Date (required): December 31, 2009
Description/Summary:
Beacon is a WYSIWYG web-based plug-able editor. Beacon is aimed at
being a generic XML editor. Any XML format that has an ultimate output
format like PDF or HTML is a good candidate for a beacon-editable
document. The GSoC project is to make a DocBook plug-in that the
Fedora documentation team can use and improve Beacon to support the
richness of DocBook.

==Project plan (Detailed):==
The project has been chosen as a Google Summer of Code project for
Fedora. We have been working on the DocBook plug-in for 2 months now.
The details about the project and the benefits to Fedora can be found
on the following links:
1. https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocBook_Editor_Documentation 2.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocBook_Editor 3.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocBook_Editor_Feature 4.
http://beacon.kix.in/ 4. https://meworkstoo.blogspot.com
Currently, we have added support for the essential tag set as
discussed with the docs list. We are in the process of integrating
Beacon with Zikula and FAS2. We need hosting space so that we can put
up a demo for review from the documentation team. It is very essential
in order to get quality feedback so we can get it ready for
consumption by the end of GSoC period.

Goals: Integrate beacon into Fedora in a seamless manner. Get it ready
for consumption by the end of GSoC.

==Specific resources needed==
100MB disk space, write access to a directory, 1 MySQL database, PHP5+
compiled with XSL and JSON support.

==Additional Info (Optional)==
Links given above.

Regards,