New SOP page

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 19:01:11 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 11:54 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
>> My only concern here is we're not the only group with SOP's, releng also
>> uses them.  Although as long as we don't conflict it might not be a
>> terrible idea to merge them.
>
> Interesting thought.  What purpose does grouping them into a Category
> serve?

Categories serve several purposes.  They replace the directory-type
grouping that we did in MoinMoin.

So right now we try to group all SOPs like this:
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/SOP/SERVICENAME
And to extract that information, we have to link to the
Special:PrefixIndex page like this:
  [[Special:PrefixIndex/Infrastructure/SOP]]
which takes the user to a search page that finds those SOPs.

Categories in MoinMoin are more flexible than PrefixIndex.  With
categories, we can look at the Infrastructure SOPs directly by going to:
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Infrastructure_SOPs
This is a page that we can add our own content to (unlike the
Special:PrefixIndex page) so we can use it as an end user visible page
if we want.  (Category:Infrastructure_SOPs is this way.  Category:SOPs
currently is not so pretty).

We can also have multiple categories per page.  For instance:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ReleaseEngineering/StringFreezePolicy
appears both on Category:Release_Engineering and Category:Localization

We can also have hierarchical categories.  Infrastructure SOPs and
Release Engineering SOPs are both subcategories of:
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:SOPs
Currently we have to browse the tree of categories to see all the
subcategory page but category flattening plugins exist.

-Toshio