Disk IO issues

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 19:39:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

>> > Not sure if it has been tested in the wild or not but the filesystem
>> > itself contains a _TON_ of hardlinks.  Creation of hardlinks is one of the
>> > big purposes of this filesystem.
>> >

>> Well then my idea of making smaller filesystems would break that
>> then... hmmm I would say that its time to escalate this to Level 2
>> support :). What do the filesystem kernel people think? I would bring
>> them in to see if there is something we are missing. Maybe something
>> in the dealing with that many inodes per file is causing a problem (or
>> maybe this is just known behaviour for large filesystems.) By the way,
>> this is a 64 bit OS correct?
>>

> Correct, 64 bit OS.  I'm going to get some of our FS guys on the horn as
> soon as RH is back to work.  I think most of them will return on Monday.

Slackers... in my day.. oh its time for my applesauce at the old
sys-admin home. Back later.

I think actually the inode/hardlink might be having an issue evne if
the files being tested aren't multiples of hardlinks. The journalling
and filesystem are going to want to optimize how they are getting
data. Hmmm if you want to completely break things... what are the
speedups/slowdowns if you mount it as ext2 instead of ext3 :).

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux