Automating hosted projects?

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 27 02:22:03 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 17:13 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Hi Infrastructure team,
>
> Not sure if this inquiry belongs here or on websites, but I'll start
> here.  Personally my experience has been that the Fedora admins act on
> requests for Fedora Hosted projects requests very quickly.  Some
> potential contributors may want or need more instantaneous results,
> and I would hate to see folks going to somewhere like Google Code if
> we can keep their projects more open and transparent (and portable) to
> the community.
>
> Does the team have any sense as to whether we could further
> automate the Fedora Hosted project creation process?

imo -1. Part of the benefit of the process being manual is that a little
sanity checking is applied.

if someone needs hosting RIGHT NOW, then they can use their fedorapeople
account for the hour or two it'll take for someone from fedora
infrastructure to get to it.

Making it instantaneous and automatic just makes it prone to abuse.

-sv