New rule

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Jul 10 23:52:28 UTC 2009

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 2009, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
> > I'm going to document this somewhere, we talked about it on IRC a while
> > back but I never sent an email to the list.
> >
> > Hot patching servers is bad!  Don't do it!  But if you _must_ do it for
> > whatever reason, you _MUST_ open a ticket about it and leave it open until
> > the hot patch is removed:
> >
> > https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/1524
> >

> what got broken? and do you mean hot-patches like apps or hot patches like:
> yum update httpd ?

I'm talking specifically about altering code because outside of a normal
rpm/puppet deployment.  So this would exclude configs and things puppet
normally deploys.  But if you run into a bug in some code and it needs to
get fixed, go in, fix it, contact upstream and open a bug so we all know
about it.  We've done this in the past for security reasons (git web and
the recent nagios bug comes to mind) and for general usability problems or
outages.

	-Mike