Introduction

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 17:34:22 UTC 2009

Clifford Chandler wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>      My name is Cliff Chandler, and I'm a student at GA State University. I'm really looking forward to being involved with Fedora. I've been using Fedora since Fedora 6, and I've been gradually using it more and more, and now I nearly depend on it. At school I do all my programming in Java, so I've become quite proficient at that, however in my free time,
> I prefer to write in C and play with OpenGL and SDL. As for web development, I am comfortable with HTML/CSS, PHP (and SQL when a database is needed), and basic JavaScript. Python seems to be more important every day, so I've just started with that as well. I've checked out the infrastructure/getting started page (this message is to the infrastructure-list as well as the websites-list), but any more guidance is appreciated.

Hi Cliff!

If you're looking to program in C, Fedora does a lot of work upstream on
a lot of programs written in C.  Offering to look into bugs and do
debugging of issues in C programs in fedora-devel-list is one,
Fedora-centric way to get involved there.  Working with upstreams
directly to code new features that Fedora wants is another way.

If you're looking to do more things directly related to Fedora, the web
team and infrastructure could both use your talents in web development.
 Infrastructure concentrates more on programming the web applications
that we run (the accounts system, package database, koji build system,
bodhi updates, mirrormanager, smolt, and others).  These are all written
in python using the TurboGears web framework.  There's work for people
interested in working with HTML, CSS, JavaScript and Python here.
ricky, ianweller, and mizmo can better fill you in on what they could
put you to work doing in websites.

If you're on IRC we all tend to hang out on irc.freenode.net,
#fedora-admin (infrastructure) and #fedora-websites  I'm abadger1999 if
you have questions about getting started in an initial project.

-Toshio