Password resets

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 14:01:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> So holy crap does the planet hate it when you ask people to reset their
> passwords.  In particular though, they hated the following:
>
> 1. Kittens

Personally I thought people were having kittens for all the 'problems'
occurring. Maybe we should set up an adoption agency? The main thing
with password changes is that a segment of the society does not like
them <PERIOD>. They will quote spafford, etc etc about how its wrong
to change passwords and with some members of our faculty do a virtual
sit-out in protest. In general I hand them some lemons and tell them
to make lemonade. [But that is why I am probably going to see our HR
rep about..]

Normally our policy for accounts is the following:
15 day email saying your account will be locked, and then deleted 15
days after lock.
 7 day email saying your account will be locked, and then deleted 15
days after lock.
1 day email saying your account will be locked.
and then
1 day email saying your account is locked and will be deleted in 15 days.
7 day email saying... you get the picture

If a person does not get the message within that time frame... well
that is life. If we are going to schedule these for a precise period
(say first week of March, September (if 180 day timeframe)) a mail can
go out to the list also.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux