Problems with bugzilla and FAS account

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sat May 23 16:37:00 UTC 2009

On 05/23/2009 08:32 AM, Ricky Zhou wrote:
> On 2009-05-23 12:08:30 PM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>> If the FAS backend managed to create a new account in bugzilla, why would
>> I need to _change_ an existing one myself? Can't it sync bugzilla with my
>> email change in FAS? (which is what I expected it to do)
> This is because at the time of writing, there was no XMLRPC method
> exposed for changing a user's email.  I just checked now, and there
> might be a new method available that we can use.  I'll look at
> adding this to our scripts soon.
>
>> Anyone who changes email in FAS gets a new bugzilla account for the changed
>> email address? Is that how it's implemented currently?
> This is currently implemented as follows: When a user changes their
> email in FAS, or changes their membership in the fedorabugs group, a
> trigger runs which adds the user to a special queue table.  We then run
> a script periodically that empties out the queue and creates a BZ
> account if one doesn't already exist, and grants privileges to the
> accounts.  The relevant code for this is in the FAS repo:
> git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/fas.git
> in scripts/export-bugzilla.* and fas2.sql.

Apologies for not joining in sooner.  What ricky's outlined as the
current situation is correct.  Michael, what you outlined as a way to
keep the accounts straight would work.  I think making the script not
create new accounts (forcing the user to reconcile the fas email and
lack of bugzilla account manually) is the way to go.

Here's an untested, updated export-bugzilla.py script.  It emails the
users when an account mismatch occurs (I believe this runs in cron
hourly, so this would send an email once an hour).  Does this look good
to you guys?

I'm going to a family reunion this weekend.  If someone wants to update
the script sooner, they can (It will need an infrastructure change
request if we put this in place before the release but should be fairly
low risk/easy to revert.)

-Toshio