FAD Fedora Talk tech items

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 19:09:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 01:20:02PM -0500, timg at codero.com wrote:
> Generally from my experience the primary things that effect VoIP would
> be Packet loss, and Latency. There are tons of other things such as RF
> noise etc.. however those shouldnt* be an issue.
>
> Packet loss is going to be pretty obvious across the "wire" due to the
> way it is normally handled (fill in dropped packet with previous packets
> data).
>
> With that said depending on the wireless (signal strength / noise) there
> could be potential issues (packet loss, distortion, static, delay in
> sound), however if there are this can be easily mitigated by the use of
> the hard line. Just my 2 cents. - Tim

This is good information to know, thanks Tim.  Fortunately most of
what we're doing isn't going to be dependent on the quality of the
connection, but rather building additional functionality into the
services themselves.  Your well-stated concerns above will continue to
apply across the board when using Fedora Talk or other VoIP systems.