Fedora 11 schedule reminder ...

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Feb 3 00:43:13 UTC 2009

In case you were looking to have your software as a feature[1] for
Fedora 11, keep in mind the rapidly progressing schedule[2].  In
particular:

2009-02-03	 Alpha Release
2009-03-03	 Feature Freeze--Planning & Development Ends
2009-03-10 	 Beta Freeze
2009-03-24 	Beta Release & Software String Freeze
2009-04-07 	Software Translation Deadline
2009-04-14 	Final Development Freeze
2009-04-28 	Preview Release
2009-05-12 	Compose & Stage Release Candidate
2009-05-26	Fedora 11 Final Release

For those subscribed to fedora-devel-announce[3] you know that the F11
Alpha has slipped by a few days to some late breaking bugs[4].  This
should not impact the overall schedule, it is flexible for internal
slipping by a few days.

I've seen it publicly supposed[5] that RHEL 6 is going to be based on
F11.  If this is the case (and I honestly don't know :), then software
that is in F11 gets the longest testing for RHEL 6.  In other words,
work done now for F11 is work done for RHEL 6.

I can assist by explaining in more detail the schedule milestones, if
anyone wants that.  Two in particular that matter are:

* Feature freeze 03 March 2009
* Final development freeze 14 April 2009

The feature freeze is the point where your software is included in the
marketing and engineering focus for the release.  Some of the features
are a regular part of the talking points[6] used for press contacts.
If there are (enough?) ISV-specific packages in this release, I will
do work to make sure the group overall and individual companies are
recognized in the talking points.  No promises, but I know people. :)

Final development freeze is the drop-dead moment to get software in
the default Fedora 11 repositories.  Going from there to a specific
spin (GNOME or KDE desktop, Electronics Labratory, Games, Server,
etc.) is only possible/likely if you are in that repository.

It is possible to get software in the repositories after that date,
but it will be add-on to the F11 base set.  The fact is, the release
dates are more for the external world; we just put out the most that
is ready by then, and keep on developing.  For you, however, it may be
an opportunity worth catching.

- Karsten

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features

[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Schedule