Keep the FC6 kernel at 2.6.20 or move it to 2.6.21?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Apr 30 17:03:45 UTC 2007

Chuck Ebbert schrieb:
> Dave Jones wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 29, 2007 at 06:36:32PM +0200, dragoran wrote:
>>  > 2.6.21.1 is out ... so whats the plan now? Relase a FC6
>>  > update(updates-testing) or stick with 2.6.20.x until 2.6.22 is
>>  > out/2.6.21 get some more testing?
>>
>> We could do a rebase to .21 this week, and push that out to testing,
>> and if anything critical turns up before that becomes deemed stable,
>> we could push a branched build off of .20 directly to updates.
>
> This doesn't make me very confident:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/known_regressions

Well, didn't we have such bugs in the past, too? We just had no compiled
list of them afaik...

> I'd like to see some kind of stability in FC6 while FC7 continues
> shaking out 2.6.21 bugs.

Well, getting a quite stable and working-on-lots-of-machines kernel on
the install media of F7 is also quite important imho.

/me votes for what davej suggested: "do a rebase to .21 this week, and
push that out to testing, and if anything critical turns up before that
becomes deemed stable,  we could push a branched build off of .20
directly to updates."

Add a "send a announcement 'want do help getting the kernel of F7
tested? Then use "yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update kernel*" and
report any bugs'" to it. Well, something like that, I don't know if
kernel* really works...

CU
thl