modsign vs build-id

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 20:00:19 UTC 2007

> Ya got me, but upon unpacking the initrd, modinfo tells me the bits in
> the initrd have the right vermagic.

That doesn't tell you anything useful.  Compare the signature sections,
e.g. readelf -x .module_sig on each.

> However, the file sizes don't match.
> In fact, they aren't even close.
>
> # (cd /tmp/initrd-104/lib; ll ext3.ko)
> -rw------- 1 root root 189096 2007-08-14 15:31 ext3.ko
>
> # (cd /lib/modules/2.6.23-0.104.rc3.vsc.fc8/kerne/fs/ext3; ll ext3.ko)
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2719832 2007-08-14 12:46 ext3.ko

mkinitrd runs strip -g on the modules copied to the initrd.
I hadn't noticed that before, but it should not be a problem.
(Its affect on the signature issue should not have changed.)

> Okay, so I rebuilt the initrd and bounced the box... And there's the
> expected kernel panic. So now I'm thoroughly confused as to where the
> hell the modules that at least booted the system came from...

Ok, we'll call the first experience a mysterious hiccup then.

Did you save your rpmbuild log?  Can you double-check that it has no
debugedit or find-debuginfo.sh runs that follow the modsign.sh runs?

Also, you could try setting MODSIGN_DEBUG in kernel/module-verify-sig.c
(linux-2.6-modsign-core.patch) and booting with "debug" to see those msgs.

Thanks,
Roland