sparc64 needs an entirely untouched, unstripped kernel

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Sat Aug 18 01:17:48 UTC 2007

> On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 12:29 -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > I'd like to help figure out what the specific problem is, so we can solve
> > it properly.
>
> OK, but how do we start? :)

I've CC'd Jakub, who has a tendency to know every corner of this sort of thing.
If that alone doesn't do it (;-), next we start with asking about exactly
how this vmlinux->bootable conversion is done.  (Last time I personally
dealt with tftp-booting a Sun, it was a Sun 3/60, but it sounds like maybe
things haven't changed much.  I guess they have a little, since you're
tftp'ing a kernel instead of a stage2 boot loader that does bootparam and nfs.)

I looked at arch/sparc64/boot/Makefile, but a) don't know where to find
elftoaout and b) you were talking about doing something with the image
installed in /boot, which is AFAICT not the a.out format image at all.

The "image" target in arch/sparc64/boot/Makefile is a mostly-stripped
vmlinux (i.e. ELF).  What is it that converts that into an a.out image, and
where does that image get stored for booting?  I surmise that whatever that
procedure is depends on a few ELF symbols (-K sun4u_init -K _end -K _start).
I'd like to grok all that more fully before suggesting the best solution.

Thanks,
Roland