-vanilla builds.

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Aug 30 04:52:41 UTC 2007

On 29.08.2007 21:05, Dave Jones wrote:
> I'd like to move forward on us getting vanilla builds out for testers.

I'm willing to help here if there is anything I can do.

> There are a couple things worth thinking about, which I'd like other
> peoples thoughts on.
>
> * The location of the binaries - I think we ended up settling
>   on putting them on people.fedoraproject.org.

My vote is still to ship them in the proper repos -- an idea lot of
people liked in last weeks discussion here. But people feared the space
requirements. But that's a problem on p.f.o as well afaics.

> * how/where to building them.
>   AFAIK, it isn't possible to pass switches like --with-vanilla
>   to koji, so the two options are..
>   - build vanilla as part of the regular build
>     (not a great idea, it already takes hours to build
>      a complete set of kernels).

How about a different package kernel-vanilla in CVS that can be build
independently of the normal build?

> [...]
> * dependancies.
>   This is the only remaining technical puzzle I think.
>   I'd like the vanilla rpms to install on FC6, F7, and rawhide.
>   Doing separate builds per distro is just going to kill me.

But often needed, as people otherwise often can't build kernel modules
theirselfs, as GCC doesn't match (it does currently iirc, but often
there are different major versions of gcc in the different distros.

> [...]

CU
knurd