F7 redux, and the road to F8.

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Jun 7 20:35:11 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 10:08:53PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
 > On 07.06.2007 21:17, Dave Jones wrote:
 > > [...]
 > > libata.
 > > ~~~~~~~
 > > Looking at the incoming bugs, this seems to be the biggest area
 > > where we have problems.  No surprise really given the switchover
 > > to new pata drivers.  Though there are quite a few SATA bugs too.
 > > I'm not sure what more we can do here other than keep pointing
 > > Jeff & Alan at them, and hoping for the best.
 > > We knew this was going to be bumpy first time around, so hopefully
 > > for F8 we'll have most of the kinks worked out here, and won't
 > > have introduced (m)any new problems.
 >
 > My 2 cent on this one: it might be a good idea to have test kernels for
 > stuff like this that people can install on "Fedora (current)"; I for one
 > would install them on some of my machines for testing purposes; I
 > normally switch to rawhide only at test2 or test3.

You mean something like "F7 kernel for F6" ?
The problem with that is the slew of userspace updates that would
have been necessary.  The initrd changes alone were pretty extensive.
I *still* get the creeps about changing /dev/hda -> /dev/sda in
a yum update. It works for most people, but I've been burnt by it,
and I know some users have.   For massive changes like that, it
wouldn't really have helped much.  Booting the livecd and having
a "yes, I can see my hard disks" report from users would have had
more value I think than reports from hybrid FC6 w/F7 bits systems.

 > BTW, there is a lot of talk about the RHEL5 and the RL-kernel. See
 > http://www.press.redhat.com/2007/06/05/emerging-technologies-developments-in-red-hat-enterprise-linux-realtime/
 > I suppose we are waiting for the bits to go upstream?

Yes.

	Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk