uevent order fix

David Zeuthen davidz at redhat.com
Fri Jun 15 19:22:10 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-15 at 14:59 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 09:24:09AM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
>  > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=2c7afd125cc482dbdf6b0a169c42337e7e76cda5
>  >
>  > Can we include this simple patch in Fedora 7 and Rawhide please? Without
>  > this, events arrive in the wrong order meaning that udev and hal may get
>  > confused. Thanks.
>
> Are you sure this is the diff you want?  The changelog comment doesn't
> really imply anything regarding ordering.

Yea, I'm 100% positive - the problem is that uevents for "struct
class_device" don't include the PHYSDEV* variables. This makes it
impossible for udev to reorder the events, e.g. wait for the device that
PHYSDEVPATH that the class device specifies. As a result you sometimes
get to process the event for an input device *before* the physical
device (e.g. USB interface) have been processed. SCSI generic devices
are affected in a similar way.

      David