kqemu inclusion in kernel

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jun 16 14:31:31 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 03:13:56PM +0100, Chris Brown wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've started playing around with virtualization at work and the
> first thing I'd like to query is kqemu's lack of inclusion in the
> Fedora kernel. It was GPL'd in February and although I realise Axel
> is packaging kmdl/kmods

kmods? Heaven forbid, no. ;)

> it would be good to know if this is being queued up for mainline. If
> not then can it be backported for Fedora kernels. If that is not
> possible then can it be moved into the default repos to save users
> (me) bolting on another repo (no offence Axel).

No offense taken. Last summer I tried to get the kmdl mechanism into
Fedora proper but the usual suspects didn't let it happen. If we had
nice working kmdls in Fedora it would be a matter of a day to get it
in there.

But replicating a kmod pair out of the kmdl would just make it more
difficult to "bolt on another repo".

I also know that the main kernel packagers don't really like the idea
of any added kernel modules outside the kernel (partly for good
reasons, they can't really make a proper QA/bug diagnosis if they
don't know how many and which kmdls you have installed in addition to
what they packaged into the kernel rpm, although until now it was
never really a significant issue in practice).

> Please forgive dual list posting but I know DJ reads the kernel list and
> might want to comment whereas I'm not sure AT does. And vice versa.

We're both everywhere. Trimming to the kernel list.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net