Chance of dynamic loading of alternate AML code getting in?

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Thu Mar 29 18:25:20 UTC 2007

Dave Jones schrieb:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 07:53:00PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > AFAIK ubuntu includes a patch to allow dynamic loading of alternate AML code
>  > dumps, to work around bios ACPI bugs. I know BIOS's and the kernel ACPI code
>  > are getting betterm but for some laptops this is needed, any chance this could
>  > be included into the Fedora kernel?
>  >
>  > Also any chance of getting this included upstream?
>
> The Intel ACPI maintainers are really against including that patch,
> and express dismay that other vendors that do include it.
> From conversation I've had with LenB, he's pretty happy that we don't
> include it.  Keeping the upstream maintainers happy so that they're
> interested in looking at our bugs is far more useful in the long run imo.

Agreed. I'd also got the impression from my testing that the ACPI
interpreter *and/or* the ACPI tables in modern hardware is a lot better
these days, so the need to include the patch is not that pressing
anymore IMHO.

<crazy thought>But it might be nice to make it a bit more easy for
people to somehow include a modified DST with the in-kernel-mechanism
when they recompile the kernel srpm... Currently it's quite hard to do
that afaics<crazy thought>

CU
thl