Needed: An easier way to build a subset of kernel packages

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Thu Mar 29 19:21:32 UTC 2007

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Chuck Ebbert wrote:
>> Jarod Wilson wrote:
> [...]
>>> Rather than wasting Chuck's time implementing this, what say a
>>> lower-level grunt like myself try to implement something along these
>>> lines? :) I've got a few ideas on how to do it using either %bcond or
>>> %with{,out}...
>> You understand rpm better than I do, so go for it. I'd use Dave's method
>> but an RPM is so much more convenient...
>
> Cool, I'm on it...

There are a few ways to approach this...

The minimalist approach that comes to mind is to make all the %define
build* bits all set to 1/enabled by default, and only flip them to
disabled where appropriate, so they'd be equivalent to your allow* idea,
in that if you disable them at the top of the spec, they'd stay disabled.

The all-out approach is to implement support for --with/--without on the
rpmbuild line. Nice to have, but adds complexity/legibility issues to
the spec (not that this isn't already a very hard to read spec...), and
I'm not sure if I'd actually use it or not.

Any strong preference for one route or the other? (Or yet another)

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com