hardcoded mkinitrd dep?

Eduardo Habkost ehabkost at redhat.com
Wed May 2 13:54:49 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 01:09:55PM +0200, dragoran wrote:
> I was testing f7 kernels on fc6 recently to test iwlwifi and I noticed
> that the kernel depends on a newer mkinitrd for (no?) reason...
> I install the kernels with --nodeps and the boot up fine, the new initrd
> also looks ok (has the pata modules etc.)
> what was the reason for this?

The last time the mkinitrd required version was changed have this in
the CVS log and RPM changelog:

* Wed Apr 18 2007 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
- Bump mkinitrd require: to 6.0.9-1 for scsi_wait_scan fixes.

There may be other reasons a newer mkinitrd is required, as the required
version was changed many times, before. I am sure it was changed on cases
when keeping an older initrd when installing the new kernel could break
the system on some (but not necessarily all) cases.

On some cases, like yours, the older mkinitrd could work. You can try
forcing it as you did, but do it at your own risk.  :)

--
Eduardo