questions on reconfigure and re-install a kernel on FC6

kathy pu pu_kathy at hotmail.com
Fri May 25 20:15:05 UTC 2007

Hi all:

I appreciate very much if anybody can provide me some help on re-configure
and compile a kernel, such as the procedures and the source directory
location and the name of the .config file used.

I got the error message saying the Kernel is not configured, but I do have
run the command
in 2. as listed below, I must have missed something?

My machine already has 2.6.20.2948 installed, and I want to change the
kernel configuration,
I am not sure what directory the source code, and .config, that I should
use.

1. what is the directory that I should find the correct root for MAKE the
kernel source code:
    Is it /usr/src/linux-2.6.X/Build/  or is it
/usr/src/kernel/...2.6.20.2948?

2.  if I do a make O=/home/name/build/kernel  menuconfig
     What will happen?  Is a .config file producted?  If so, where is it
stored?
     What directory  I need to copy the .config file to before I compile the
kernel?

3.  if I run the following  to compile a kernel, will it store both the
kernel binary
     image and module binary files to the directory set by O =

     make O=/home/name/build/kernel

4.  What does the modules_insall and install do?
     copy the bzImage to the O= location?

kathy