kernel-vanilla builds for 2.6.27-rc1

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 22:20:18 UTC 2008

2008/8/8 Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 00:39 +0100, Christopher Brown wrote:

>> > Updated to -rc2 builds now.  And the kernel-firmware Requires issue
>> > should be fixed up thanks to Jarod.
>>
>> It looks all good from here. I'll be posting a diff of the vanilla and
>> ummm ... blueberry ... dmesg in a moment. Any caveats, gotchas, test
>> suites?
>
> As for gotchas, well, it's a -rc2 kernel so be warned.  But the same is
> true of rawhide in general.
>
> My current plan is to only do vanilla builds for -rc and final releases,
> unless a particular -rc is really badly broken and a git snapshot fixes
> quite a bit.  A few caveats below.
>
> The intention isn't to provide an "alternative" kernel.  It's more for
> those that want to test something and see if it works on vanilla as
> opposed to a patched Fedora kernel.  That should be quite rare, as the
> Fedora kernels are fairly top notch and don't differ much from vanilla
> anyway.

Then I suppose this begs the question - why aren't we shipping a
vanilla kernel to begin with?

I'm sure there are excellent answers and I'm aware of some of them
already. I do think it would be good to pimp this a bit more and that
it could be offered as a viable alternative.

Or do I have my head in clouds I don't understand? Probably.

> I'm sure some will use it as a "primary" kernel, but they should realize
> there is no support for these and the likely response will be "try
> rawhide" and/or "please report it to the Linux kernel mailing list".

On the contrary would this not bring greater support. At the moment
mainline ask people with bugs to test with mainline which your average
joe has difficulty with.

> Also, due to quota limitations I can really only host one kernel version
> at a time.  That means as soon as -rc3 comes out, the current builds are
> replaced.

Understood, but if there was some way to get this added into the
official repositories do the Fedora kernel bods see an opportunity?

Cheers

--
Christopher Brown

http://www.chruz.com