Fedora kernel build failure: *** ERROR: same build ID in nonidentical files!

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 21:17:18 UTC 2008

> Could this be yet another problem caused by the switch to GCC 4.3?

Hard to see what it could have done to cp. ;-)

+ cp vmlinux /var/tmp/kernel-2.6.24-14.fc9-root-ppc/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-14.fc9
+ cp vmlinux /var/tmp/kernel-2.6.24-14.fc9-root-ppc/usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.24-14.fc9

> Before this, it said:
>
> *** WARNING: identical binaries are copied, not linked:
>         /usr/lib/debug/lib/modules/2.6.24-9.fc9/vmlinux
>    and  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-9.fc9
>
> In find-debuginfo.sh the two files are compared with both
> 'cmp' and 'eu-elfcmp' -- something has changed that causes
> them to be considered different where they weren't before.

Off hand I would think this can only be eu-strip's fault.
Unless something is silently touching files in the build
or something, then it looks like eu-strip run twice
(nondestructively) on the same input file produced
differing stripped files.

Rawhide has elfutils-0.132, which is also in updates-testing
for F-[78].  If it's handy, you could try a kernel build on a
rawhide with elfutils downgraded and see if that fixes it, or
try a build on F-8 and see if it's broken by upgrading to the
new elfutils from updates-testing.

I still haven't fired up the ol' G5 to look into the thing
with the vmlinux copies going into the wrong debuginfo rpms.
So when I get it together, I can look into this too.
I have to do a new rawhide install and such first though.

Thanks,
Roland