rawhide & -debug

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 23:53:34 UTC 2008

On 13/02/2008, Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com> wrote:
> A discussion came up at LCA about the fact that we have debugging
> 'always on' in rawhide kernel builds, and that it causes some people
> pain, because anyone wanting to do performance testing for eg needs
> to rebuild their kernel without all the debugging bits.
>
> An idea that was tossed around was to do something similar to what
> we do in release builds, and offer separate debug/nodebug builds.
> But instead of how we do it in releases, do the opposite, and have
> a -nodebug build, whilst keeping the regular kernel debug-turned-on
> to maximise coverage testing.
>
> Downside being that we have one extra flavor to build each day.
> (more disk space used, more buildsys time etc).
>
> Another option is that we do something like turning debug on/off
> periodically (though this idea wasn't well recieved, unless it
> was really easy to determine if a debug-enabled kernel was running.
> Some people want to run automated perf-tests)
>
> comments?

I'm a newbie in this but http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems

indicates slab debugging can be disabled using:

slub_debug=-

Is this true and if so does this affect things at all? The barrier to
getting a debug variant is pretty low so I'm really not fussed either
way.

Cheers

--
Christopher Brown