kernel posttrans and preun hooks for other packages

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Feb 18 18:01:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 12:54:29PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Matt Domsch (Matt_Domsch at dell.com) said:
> > > Use triggers - this functionality already exists without kernel-specific
> > > infrastructure.
> >
> > a) LSB suggests triggers are evil.
>
> Then triggers must be the right answer.

:-)

> > b) triggers don't tell me the version of the package that got
> >    installed that caused the trigger, which is what I need to know.
>

> Hm, I wonder if this can be added to RPM.

c) I need them to run at the end of the transaction, when I can expect
both kernel and kernel-devel to have been installed in the same
transaction.  Right now triggers run following the %post of the new
kernel install, which is too early if both kernel-devel and kernel
RPMs are being installed; there's no ordering guarantee between the
two such that we know kernel-devel is always installed before kernel.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux