kernel posttrans and preun hooks for other packages

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Mon Feb 18 18:15:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 01:13:35PM -0500, Don Zickus wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 12:01:23PM -0600, Matt Domsch wrote:

> > > Then triggers must be the right answer.
> >
> > :-)

> > > Hm, I wonder if this can be added to RPM.
> >

> > c) I need them to run at the end of the transaction, when I can expect
> > both kernel and kernel-devel to have been installed in the same
> > transaction.  Right now triggers run following the %post of the new
> > kernel install, which is too early if both kernel-devel and kernel
> > RPMs are being installed; there's no ordering guarantee between the
> > two such that we know kernel-devel is always installed before kernel.
>
> Curious, what happens if someone just wants to install the kernel, no
> -devel package?  Does the posttrans fail?  Maybe I should go re-read the
> patch. :)

no, new-kernel-pkg exits with status 0 from rpmposttrans() regardless
of if the scripts it's invoking succeed or fail.  No reason to hork up
RPM over it.

The DKMS script itself will fail if there's no matching kernel-devel
package present, or if there's no compiler present, etc.

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux